Saturday, March 18, 2006

Go Sit In A Corner - Self Imposed "Time Outs"

When I want to "get away from it all," I have a corner that I go sit in. My corner is not the "nose to the wall, don't look around or talk to anyone" kind of place -- although symbolically it could amount to that. And it is certainly not a punishment. To the contrary, it is my space that I've created to step back and take a break. I have decorated my space with things that are particularly meaningful to me. There are candles (my passion) and there is a photo of my family, some magazines and books for me to browse, and a few other things that pamper me while I am sitting in my corner taking my "time out." Up until a few months ago, when I'd take a break I might end up just about anywhere in the house that was quiet at the moment. Maybe the back porch, a den, the living room, even the bathroom for that matter LOL! But then it occured to me that because I moved from one place to another when I needed a break, that these spots were really not all that special and they certainly weren't Mine and mine alone. So I set about creating my special spot. At first, I didn't even think there was room anywhere to designate such a spot, but with a little creativity, I was able to come up with the perfect solution. Once created, it was explained to the other members of the family that this was my retreat and when I was in my "spot" I was not to be interrupted. And in my case, I also explained to my children that this was not to be filled with coloring books, sticky fingers, and the like. And aside from getting a few strange stares, no one has violated my "space" and it has remained to be the shrine I intended. The benefits of all this have been numerous. It is a treat to go to my corner, it forces me to clear my mind, it gives me an opportunity to focus and collect my thoughts in the middle of hectic days filled with typical distractions, and it enables me to enjoy my candles and catch up on reading without interruption. I might spend 15 minutes there or an hour; but the amount of time is far less important that the rejuvenation that I feel afterward. It is very easy to become so caught up in our day to day lives and never take a break or schedule time for ourselves. And ultimately, even though everyone's threshold is different, sooner or later it will spell Burnout with a capital "B." So start thinking about it and look around. Find the spot that will work for you and think about what decor would suit your taste. Then lay the ground rules with any friends or family and begin your regimine of putting yourself in a Time Out! If you have such a space, or when you create such a space; please feel free to return here and share the details with us, so we can all learn and prosper! Take a break today, Stephanie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Copyright 2005, 06 90PercentAttitude.com. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.
MulacSites | Internet Marketing Motivation Support Home Business Entrepreneurs | Domains, Websites, Traffic, SEO, PLR